✔️ FIXED BUG: crash in Plane Controls

Eggheads talking about bytes and stuff.
Krishty
Site Admin

✔️ FIXED BUG: crash in Plane Controls

Post by Krishty »

Go to Settings > Controls > Planes and it will likely crash due to errors with the input profiles.
mikew
Data Genius

Re: 🔴 OPEN BUG: crash in Plane Controls

Post by mikew »

While that option doesn't do anything, it doesn't crash either on this machine.
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

Right, it’s an uninitialized memory access and sometimes it crashes and at other times it doesn’t.

I have a hotfix waiting BUT here is some context:

It is out of question that we need to display the key mapping in some way for users. (Can’t expect them to read my website, and can’t expect me to keep it updated!) That’s what that screen is mainly for.

In the first half of 2021, I prepared rebinding for controls. To keep the time investment low, you would assign the controls by fiddling in the Windows registry, and that screen would display them to you. This way most players can easily look up the default controls, and if it’s soo important to you to change them, you can do this with some effort. Pros get remappable controls, casual gamers can look up the keys, and I don’t need to program a lot. Everyone is happy.

In June 2021 I had it mostly working, but at the last moment I had to cancel it. Don’t remember the reason, I think our new extension API was more important (to fix the conceptual problems of using an F-22 in EF2000/AC3 levels) and there were conflicts. I laid the diff aside and left that dialog as a skeleton. It has been useless ever since (and sometimes crashing, too).

I find the ability to remap controls extremely important (just remember all the joystick problems with TFXplorer). Therefore, I have dug up my diff from 2021-06-20 and I will now try to apply it to the new codebase, step by step.
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

That dialog does not yet use the layout engine. Instead, it computes the control positions in quite a lot of code. Will fix that as well …
mikew
Data Genius

Post by mikew »

just remember all the joystick problems with TFXplorer
I do. It was maybe that 2005 era Logitech stick I was using, but I don't remember the details. The 2014 era cheap generic stick works great but that may be because all the problems with the other one were fixed.

Aside from TFXplorer, joysticks used to 'just work' in the old days, maybe due to DirectInput (or whatever it was called).
Things seem more complicated now with AC7 needed a branded joystick, and MSFS2020 not providing a sensible default for generic sticks. So, I had to use an XBox controller for these.
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

mikew wrote: 2023-Nov-13, 10:33There's a file called 'ffdid.ifr' in TAW's 'Program' folder which looks like it contains the FF definitions.
The .ifr extension implies that DID used a third party tool to help with this, rather than generate the DirectInput commands themselves.
https://ir.immersion.com/static-files/6 ... ca43b3d580
The company is still going, but their 'Resources' section doesn't go back very far.
Mind if I move it to our new force feedback thread to clear this thread here up for TFXplorer’s plane control mapping?
mikew
Data Genius

Post by mikew »

Of course! I knew I was going off topic, but thought it was a bit of a dead end anyway...
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

Okay it moved the posts *before* the opening posts but that’s good enough for now :D
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

Will be fixed soon.
Krishty
Site Admin

Re: ✔️ FIXED BUG: crash in Plane Controls

Post by Krishty »

Fix has landed.