some bad foreshadowing

Hang out and chat.
Krishty
Site Admin

some bad foreshadowing

Post by Krishty »

Just found this thread from 2008:
Hawx wrote:Will SimHQ BB come back online? Will the TAW topics be eliminated?
Polak wrote:Perhaps Hawx's dark and quite pessimistic prognostics […] may unfortunately become true and sad reality.
Spear wrote:why worry, Polak? they're not going to scrap our TAW forum.
not as long as there are people caring about it.. even if 90% don't even post.
they'd lose the most dedicated TAW community on the internet today.
We know how that ended

I’m glad I was forced to look through these old posts. I had totally missed Spear’s role in TAW history until now … updated the article with quotes like
Spear wrote:how about we continue our modding talk over here?
SimHQ has some, erm, difficulties accepting my login.
Spear wrote:[F-22 2008 TAW Project]
to all who got it, be glad, you're lucky.
I hope this isn’t too dark for this week :D
mikew
Data Genius

Re: some bad foreshadowing

Post by mikew »

I don't think Spear/Jolly07 (and whatever other username he went under) was particularly helpful towards the end. SimHQ might have been 'wrong', but it was their site.
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

It was. Considering the dates – worries about SimHQ shutting the forum down in Oct 2008; Spear blocked in March 2009; TAW forum deleted in November 2009 – Cat was probably right when he said
We attempted to get the readers to stop linking and stop posting about it. Some did. Some refused. So we had to shut the forum down.
Polakreturned
Legendary Modder

Post by Polakreturned »

Thank you Kriszty for giving a new home to TAW.

And thank you for reminding us about the infamous story of SimHQ which from the perspective of time gives us the right and proper evaluation of what had really happened then and there. This was from the beginning the story of a sick, petty, and self-centered individual who wanted nothing but to destroy the good quest of a few of us to learn about TAW. And enjoy it! Shame to SimHQ to be so subservient to this sick tantrum and kudos to Combatsim to provide shelter in the time of need. The rest is history!

I personally have only regret that I was not present during those times and TAW for me was overshadowed by some other sims promising to deliver more excitement and the possibility and room for having fun. Alas! despite my best efforts some of them turned out to be no promised land in the end I am glad to be back here! So maybe as the saying goes: better late than never!

Though as I see things have changed here too and I need your patient guidance and advice on where to begin my 2nd tour of duty with the best benefits and returns to beloved TAW, this community and myself.
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

Polakreturned wrote: 2022-Jan-10, 19:03 Though as I see things have changed here too and I need your patient guidance and advice on where to begin my 2nd tour of duty with the best benefits and returns to beloved TAW, this community and myself.
Well I’m disoriented myself. We now have two Discords as well as this forum. Only time will tell whether CSim’s end will fragment our little community even further.

One of my hopes in Discord is that its real-time communication style motivates people to meet for multiplayer flights again. And this, in turn, might bringt new interest in mods (and hopefully, TFXplorer as a clone), which would drive people to this forum for deeper communication. (Although I’m definitely out, because my kids won’t allow for more than five minutes of straight playtime, ever :D)

That’s the best case. The worst case would be just mikew and me in 2032 still guessing 16-bit x86 opcodes … ;)