✔️ NEW FEATURE: Two Horizon Colors

Eggheads talking about bytes and stuff.
Krishty
Site Admin

✔️ NEW FEATURE: Two Horizon Colors

Post by Krishty »

The horizon color towards the Sun should be different from the one opposed to it. Not even brighter, but different.

The terrain API should offer a way to specify this additional horizon color towards the Sun, and if it isn’t used, it should just assume the same color as for the rest of the horizon.

Things like this should usually wait until I re-write the whole renderer, but … the Ace Combat levels could really use it, as they often take place during sunrise/sunset.
Krishty
Site Admin

Re: 💡 OPEN FEATURE: Two Horizon Colors

Post by Krishty »

I’m trying out a few things and I must say it’s a great improvement. Skies feel *much* more natural, even with the sun being placed in the wrong direction!

image.png
image.png (1.12 MiB) Viewed 1172 times

This will certainly be the last adjustment I perform on the old D3D9 renderer. Everything breaks, from contrails and HUD to moving map. This is the one place where the code still thinks it’s just a small model viewer.
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

Red Sea is red

image.png
image.png (397.17 KiB) Viewed 1171 times
mikew
Data Genius

Post by mikew »

Looks accurate to me...
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

mikew wrote: 2023-Aug-17, 14:56Looks accurate to me...
I am shocked at how close I was :D

I fixed all rendering problems, so this will most likely be in the next release.
Krishty
Site Admin

Re: ✔️ NEW FEATURE: Two Horizon Colors

Post by Krishty »

UAW_Scenario_SkyColors in UAW API.h now supports a new attribute horizonSunny. For rendering the horizon, it will be interpolated with horizon depending on cosine of angle towards sun.