🔴 OPEN BUG: Wrong Spawn Points

Eggheads talking about bytes and stuff.
Krishty
Site Admin

🔴 OPEN BUG: Wrong Spawn Points

Post by Krishty »

When no plane is available for spawning (e.g. in EF2000 levels after the latest separation of EF2000 from ADF/TAW), the player spawns at the scenario origin. This is far out at on edge of the scenario, at sea level. It’s very odd.

We need a concept of spawn points. These were previously hard-coded (when TFXplorer could only run two hard-coded levels).

These spawn points must be defined to the engine *before* the mission starts, so that users have a chance to customize them. And maybe we want to display them on a map in the briefing, too.

I don’t care where extensions get them from, but we need that interface to solve the problem.
Scorpion82
Pilot

Re: 🔴 OPEN BUG: Wrong Spawn Points

Post by Scorpion82 »

The coordinates are visible on the MMD in EF2000 and express the distance north/east. The 000 000 coordinates are the southwestern points. I think there are some text esizor editable files in the EF2000 where such coordinates are called up, but would have took look them up, if I have time. In TFX the same coordinates system was used and displayed on the HUD in NAV mode. Not sure about F-22ADF/TAW. It would be possible to start missions from different airfields and extract coordinates from there. You could theoretically also fly to the most north eastern point and determine the coordinates there. With a map grid it could then be possible to determine the coordinates based on distance.
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

Scorpion82 wrote: 2023-Jul-09, 11:16The coordinates are visible on the MMD in EF2000 and express the distance north/east. The 000 000 coordinates are the southwestern points. I think there are some text esizor editable files in the EF2000 where such coordinates are called up, but would have took look them up, if I have time. In TFX the same coordinates system was used and displayed on the HUD in NAV mode. Not sure about F-22ADF/TAW. It would be possible to start missions from different airfields and extract coordinates from there. You could theoretically also fly to the most north eastern point and determine the coordinates there. With a map grid it could then be possible to determine the coordinates based on distance.
You are totally right about the coordinates 👍 And they’re tile coordinates; no need to research that further.

Here’s a gameplay video where damson brings up the MMD at 8:30:

We can see that the MMD displays 122 153 at the top right and that he is above an interesting land formation:

ef2000 mmd.jpg
ef2000 mmd.jpg (505.75 KiB) Viewed 1446 times

Now if I fire up TFXplorer and go to tile coordinates 122E 153N I see the very same formation:

image.png
image.png (507.83 KiB) Viewed 1448 times

It makes sense to find these numbers in game files (especially mission scripts) as most of DID’s logic is built around terrain tiles. E.g. you will always find cities, airfields and other important things at the center of a tile.

It seems like DID used these numbers for debugging (maybe for the very same reason we do – to identify places in-game) and just left them in the final product because they looked cool.

Would be interesting to see what the manual says on that!
Scorpion82
Pilot

Post by Scorpion82 »

Ok, then it's tile numbers, rather than distance.

Two files that define positions are the CUSTOM.CFG and mission.cfg files. In the later even waypoints are defined using these coordinates, among some other values. I don't know whether these define altitudes, airspeeds etc. From the mission.cfg file you can even exctract coordinates for the different airfields.

IIRC F-22ADF/TAW lists the coordinates of objects viewed in AWACS mode among the flight data of the aircraft seen.

The EF2000 manuals don't really cover anything with regard to the coordinates. Can't remember to have red anything about it in the Strategy Guide either.

As said the mission.cfg is a good starting point.
Scorpion82
Pilot

Post by Scorpion82 »

BTW I have correlated the MMD screenshot with the theater map. Seems to be Trondheim Vaernes airbase.

The mission.cfg states the following for the airfield:
BASE NATO PORT "Trondheim" 31 4000 0.000000 0
3DP 112 152 0 0 0 0

The coordinates are obviously the first two tripple digit numbers behind 3DP (3D Point or Position).
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

Scorpion82 wrote: 2023-Jul-10, 10:08BTW I have correlated the MMD screenshot with the theater map. Seems to be Trondheim Vaernes airbase.

The mission.cfg states the following for the airfield:
BASE NATO PORT "Trondheim" 31 4000 0.000000 0
3DP 112 152 0 0 0 0

The coordinates are obviously the first two tripple digit numbers behind 3DP (3D Point or Position).
Tiny correction: That entry is for the Trondheim port at 112 152 (circled in blue in my screenshots), not for the Trondheim airfield at 122 153.

But you’re on point otherwise – that will be invaluable for mission planning!
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

The latest version supports specifying spawn points for scenarios.

We don’t evaluate the TAW/EF2000/AC3 data yet, but it will work once we do.
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

AC3 spawn points are now implemented. EF2000 to come once missions are implemented.