Welcome!

Hang out and chat.
Krishty
Site Admin

Welcome!

Post by Krishty »

Today, the CSim forums announced their closing.

We are a small group of modders and enthusiasts around DID’s flight simulations. This forum is now our new home.

There are still a few rough edges here and there. Please report them and we’ll see what we can do.

Let there be light!
mikew
Data Genius

Re: Welcome!

Post by mikew »

Thank you for doing this!
Personally, I prefer the old style forum format for stuff where I might start a thread about some obscure aspect of a game, then post again 6 months later.
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

Same here. I do use Discord regularly and it has its strengths (for gamers in particular), but when you do some obscure thing and need to get back to it two years later, you can forget about Discord with its endless stream of text.

I did one reverse engineering project on Discord and I won’t ever do that again :D

If you need any specific categorization, structure, formatting, group names, private rooms, etc., just let me know. I just hacked into phpBB whatever came first to my mind.
mikew
Data Genius

Post by mikew »

Wow! That Driver project is impressive. No small dedication there. I wonder how that game compares in complexity to TFX1.

The site looks good as it is. If it's possible to set 'something' that makes links to external sites automatically open in a new tab, then it would be even better.
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

mikew wrote: 2022-Jan-11, 17:25I wonder how that game compares in complexity to TFX1.
It was released after TAW, and in direct comparison with our reverse engineered TAW code I’d say
  • less vehicle simulation (the car simulation should fit on in 100 lines)
  • a lot more collision detection code (obvious if you think about TAW not even simulating planes rolling on slopes; they just explode)
  • rendering data structures which are not as intimidating as TFX’s shapes, but definitely not well-designed either
  • a well-planned physics core free of TAW’s framerate problems
  • no supershapes :)
I wasn’t very involved in the actual reverse engineering from the MIPS disassembly though; I just gave a few tips on interpreting a bit of the reversed code.

mikew wrote: 2022-Jan-11, 17:25The site looks good as it is. If it's possible to set 'something' that makes links to external sites automatically open in a new tab, then it would be even better.
You hit a nerve there. I can “fix” this via JavaScript, but I have an aversion to websites running code … are you aware that a click with the middle mouse button (i.e. wheel) opens any link in a new tab, and so does pressing CTRL while clicking a link? *duck and cover*
mikew
Data Genius

Post by mikew »

are you aware that a click with the middle mouse button (i.e. wheel) opens any link in a new tab, and so does pressing CTRL while clicking a link?
No, I wasn't. Thanks! That's 4 shortcuts I know now. :D

Driver kind of looked older, but that was me overestimating the graphics landscape in 1998.
A stunning achievement to completely reverse it. :shock:
Scorpion82
Pilot

Post by Scorpion82 »

Hi Krishty, Mikew,

just decided to join here as well. Might be a not often frequented place, but I basically prefer forums, over those chat programs like Discord. So thank you Krishty from my side as well.
mikew
Data Genius

Post by mikew »

Good to see you!
I'm sure the Discord fad will wear off and forums will take their rightful place again. :D
Scorpion82
Pilot

Post by Scorpion82 »

Let's hope it does. In any case it's much easier to keep track of topics and discussions in a structured manner and that's certainly helpful.
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

So glad to see you here! Welcome!