Photobucket is back?!

Hang out and chat.
Krishty
Site Admin

Photobucket is back?!

Post by Krishty »

Combatsim will shut down very soon.

I contacted the Internet Archive earlier this year, and they have backed up a considerable amount of threads from the site.

However … they had problems with the image hosters. We all know that. For example, their copy of the TAW Skins thread (taken April 4th 2022) has no images.

But now I happened to open the original thread … and the images are back. They are now served as WEBP instead of JPG, but who cares.

Needless to say, I went to the Wayback Machine and requested the site being archived again. But that’s denied – community.combatsim.com is now blocked; presumably because they assumed that everything had been backed up anyway.

So … uuugh. Does anyone have a list of missing Photobucket images from our archived CSim threads? Do threads from our forums archive come to mind? Because then I’d quickly go and back them up …
mikew
Data Genius

Re: Photobucket is back?!

Post by mikew »

I've only got backups of my own pictures that I posted to PB.
I might have downloaded a few that others have posted, but I've already done an extensive search of my hard disks while trying to recreate those SimHQ threads.

Is there an easy way to scrape Csim for just picture links?

EDIT:
Just to add that personally, I think enough has already been done and preserving 'everything' is likely impossible anyway.
Krishty
Site Admin

Re: Photobucket is back?!

Post by Krishty »

mikew wrote: 2022-Nov-22, 23:02Just to add that personally, I think enough has already been done and preserving 'everything' is likely impossible anyway.
Alright. I added the thread here: http://krishty.com/taw/forums/combatsim/taw-skins/