✔️ NEW FEATURE: EF2000 Day-Night Cycle

Eggheads talking about bytes and stuff.
Krishty
Site Admin

✔️ NEW FEATURE: EF2000 Day-Night Cycle

Post by Krishty »

We now know how EF2000 handles time of day in color palettes.

This knowledge should be used to implement a Day-Night cycle for Norway. Not because it would be cool, but because it would save us some work and simplify usage:

Currently, TFXplorer lists nine separate Norway scenarios.
image.png
image.png (31.05 KiB) Viewed 135 times

Each of them needs an interesting spawn point, briefing text, scenario details. These are TODO for all but Clear Day.

I want to move all three time-of-day palettes into one scenario and cycle them using the scenario clock – just like Red Sea, but with three palettes instead of, like, ten. We could even introduce clouds/rain at a certain time of day, e.g. it’s always clear in the morning and always rainy in the afternoon.

This would reduce the number of Norway scenarios from nine to three (or one?), and it would make the EF2000 scenario selection much easier to use.

Only pitfall: TFX levels and beta levels don’t follow the palette naming scheme. They need a special code path. (Which may come in handy anyway because the TFX levels have a naming scheme for daylight/weather palettes, too!)
Krishty
Site Admin

Re: 💡 OPEN FEATURE: EF2000 Day-Night Cycle

Post by Krishty »

Will be in the next update. As you time-skip through the Norway level, there will be three different times of day and three different weathers.

As a side effect, I had to reduce the time skip step size from two hours to 15 minutes. I think that’s closer to TAW, too.
Krishty
Site Admin

Re: ✔️ NEW FEATURE: EF2000 Day-Night Cycle

Post by Krishty »

Day-night cycle has landed.