Embedding YouTube & Co.

Hang out and chat.
Krishty
Site Admin

Embedding YouTube & Co.

Post by Krishty »

I just installed phpBB Media Embed PlugIn, so any link to YouTube & Co. should automatically convert to an embedded video. Let’s try it:

Cool.
Polakreturned
Legendary Modder

Re: Embedding YouTube & Co.

Post by Polakreturned »

I will not embed here any direct link to the video yet, but rather post the link to the channel of the Guy who created a playlist containing no less than 40 TAW videos. Some of them are worth watching IMHO for their educational/introduction value. Please let me know if there were any other UTube channels like this:

Here is the link to CommanderT videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/FlightCommanderT

Hit playlist and then TAW playlist
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

Polakreturned wrote: 2022-Jan-10, 20:14a playlist containing no less than 40 TAW video
Sounded like an exaggeration, but indeed! That’s awesome :o
mikew
Data Genius

Post by mikew »

Looks like he's done some recent(ish) EF2000 videos as well. :)

What are we doing about pictures? I don't bother with Photobucket et al these days and uploaded images directly to the combatsim forum to illustrate my meagre modding attempts.
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

either drag & drop your image file on the post form, or
  • click Attachments below the post form
  • Add files
  • select your image(s)
  • click Place inline to display the image in your post
For images which are hosted externally, use the image button atop the post form.

I’ve allowed for 8 MiB per file and several files per post; let me know if you hit a limit and I’ll raise it. Need to check where on the webserver the files end up so I can back them up properly; also gonna check if there is an extension to allow for pasting images directly into the post …
2018-02-02 contrails 2.png
2018-02-02 contrails 2.png (1.23 MiB) Viewed 2471 times
Edit: Installed the extension. If you have image data in your clipboard, you should now be able to paste it directly into the post form and the forum will create an attachment from it and place it in your post.
mikew
Data Genius

Post by mikew »

OK, thanks! I hadn't noticed the attachment button. New things tend to be invisible to me. :D
A couple of years ago, I redownloaded all my pictures that I'd previously uploaded to Photobucket as I was expecting them to remove access unless I paid them something.
But the drive I downloaded them to became unusable. Oh, the irony...

I suppose I should do that again. I guess the pictures I directly uploaded to Combatsim are part of the forum database.
There I had to convert any .bmp to .png before I could upload it. I'll do the same on your board even if it is not forced, so 8MB shouldn't be a problem.
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

mikew wrote: 2022-Jan-15, 12:09I suppose I should do that again. I guess the pictures I directly uploaded to Combatsim are part of the forum database.
Even worse: Any pictures wider than 1000 pixels have been scaled down to 1000 pixels. So if you had small text in those shots and haven’t saved the originals, it’s likely gone.

All attachments are uploaded to a specific directory on the webserver (not to the database), and this directory is part of my backup process (which sadly I didn’t automate yet, but better than nothing :) ).
mikew
Data Genius

Post by mikew »

I downloaded everything off Photobucket again, and deleted the 100 or so pictures above my 250 picture arbitrary limit. These were dated between 2011 and 2015. This will result in some broken links in the CSIM forum I think. I left the 250 pictures that were uploaded 2007-2011 in Photobucket, but have downloaded a backup. The current Photobucket site is a great example of 'dark patterns' as you have to go through the payment page to get to the pictures you've already uploaded.
I actually used to pay for a Photobucket account until they started messing around with the resolutions.
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

mikew wrote: 2022-Jan-15, 14:13I left the 250 pictures that were uploaded 2007-2011 in Photobucket, but have downloaded a backup.
Cool! I backed up your Photobucket in 2015, saving 231 pictures (remember, I don’t trust 3rd party sites). Gonna compress them and PM them to you once I find the time!
mikew wrote: 2022-Jan-15, 14:13I actually used to pay for a Photobucket account until they started messing around with the resolutions.
Always makes me think of