Away for a week

Hang out and chat.
Krishty
Site Admin

Away for a week

Post by Krishty »

I’ll be on vacation. Don’t know if I’ll have internet (or time to use it). Happy Easter! Hope to see you back on April 23!

In the meantime, new users will probably not be able to post due to spam restrictions. Mike, you have some moderator rights, but I don’t know if they’re sufficient to unlock new users, and I don’t have time to try it out.

If you’ve been logged out just now, it’s because I made a full backup.

I’ll be taking care of the spambots when I return!
mikew
Data Genius

Re: Away for a week

Post by mikew »

I doubt I'll have posted anything significant before you get back. :(

Hmmn, a vacation seems like a good idea. :)
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

mikew wrote: 2022-Apr-20, 17:40I doubt I'll have posted anything significant before you get back. :(
Seems like your doubts were correct! 😂
mikew
Data Genius

Post by mikew »

The plan was to surprise you by finishing off TFXplorer and making it cross-platform before you got back.
It's a bit harder than I thought and I've only got as far as a CMake tutorial. :)

As a hobbyist, I'm a bit disillusioned by the plethora SW development options to be honest. :(
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

Regard cross-platform:

My Ninja-based build environment is 100 % ready, so we don’t need Visual Studio any more. I just haven’t pushed the change to the repository, as I want to test it out extensively. I wouldn’t like later corrections to such a huge and complicated change.

The Clang build is 95 % ready, with a few problems in the C++ runtime library (static object initialization). I’m not really working on it right now, but it can be made available quickly if needed.

The larger problems, of course, are DirectX for graphics/audio and Win32 for the GUI …
mikew
Data Genius

Post by mikew »

Anything I do is not going to be of the magnitude of TFXplorer, and I'm quite happy to use glfw or SDL for cross-platformness.

Up until about 2017, I wouldn't be using anything except Windows, and it would be VB5 I'd craft my amazing programs in.
From about 2010, I started using Python for pure console stuff, but mostly went back to VB5 for anything with a GUI.

Then came Win10 with all the nagging about updating to it and MS seemingly on a trajectory of charging you to use Windows by the minute or something. Of course, that hasn't happened, but it still 'feels' like that's what they want to do.
So, tried Linux again after a 10 year gap and found that it has matured significantly and could completely replace Windows for everyday tasks giving 5 years of enjoyment until the distro I'd got used to suddenly went downhill with Fedora 35.
In early 2021, I got intrigued by the Apple M1 silicon and bought the cheapest Macbook Air to see what the fuss was about. Obviously, with macos it's practically impossible to find anything, but it's a fast machine, without fans so totally silent and the battery lasts all day.

So, now I have this mix of Windows, Linux and Apple machines and it would be nice to be able to work on the same project on any of them but just target the machine I'm using at the time. I'm sure that's possible, but probably not much fun to set up.

So, while this a first world problem of my own making, the result is that it's been a long time where I've got into that fun state where even my pathetic attempt at programming is a joy and the hours just fly by.

Apologies for tainting your happy 'going on vacation' with this rant...
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

Cool! My wife has a Macbook, too, and in fact that’s where most of my attempts at cross-platform development take place :D
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

mikew wrote: 2022-Apr-25, 10:01From about 2010, I started using Python for pure console stuff, but mostly went back to VB5 for anything with a GUI.
Ever since I’m planning to give you an API in a non-C/C++ language, I was having an eye on implementing a Python binding. Not just for your enjoyment, but also for finding obscure design bugs that aren’t obvious when you use C/C++. (And also for learning a language that doesn’t reward my tendency of micro management …)

Nothing of this has materialized yet, but be sure I haven’t forgotten it. I think about it with every line of the API, in fact.
mikew
Data Genius

Post by mikew »

Ever since I’m planning to give you an API in a non-C/C++ language, I was having an eye on implementing a Python binding. Not just for your enjoyment, but also for finding obscure design bugs that aren’t obvious when you use C/C++. (And also for learning a language that doesn’t reward my tendency of micro management …)
Yeah, right! :D

The theoretical advantage of combining Python with C++, is that you end up with an 'easy' scripting language hiding the 'hard' C++ providing the underlying functionality.
But, what you will end up doing is wrapping the C++ in such as way, that any Python code using it will look just as complex as if you'd written the whole thing in C++. At least to me, who only ever uses a subset of any language.
I hope I'm wrong though. :)
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

Away for a few days. Don’t mind the spam bots unless they somehow manage to post in public 😆

Will be back on Friday.