💡 OPEN FEATURE: New F-22 Model

Eggheads talking about bytes and stuff.
Krishty
Site Admin

💡 OPEN FEATURE: New F-22 Model

Post by Krishty »

It’s pretty clear we don’t get far with TAW’s F-22 visuals, so I’m trying to organize replacement.

This won’t be in the game until a new graphics renderer comes (as we need modern features like curved surfaces and shaders) but it’s probably good to start looking around.

So I checked out this F-22 model that was suggested in the old CSim forums, but it has two problems:
  1. No proper texture mapping. There are UV coordinates, but they’re split up over a dozen different texture files and not really well-organized.
  2. Seriously lacking cockpit. Basically everything below the canopy rail is improvised. There is no throttle or side stick.
Leaving this here for further consideration. Of note is: We’d have to re-do much of the cockpit anyway, as features like clickable buttons and real-time MFDs most likely need a solution tailored to our needs and don’t work out-of-the-box with any model.
mikew
Data Genius

Re: 💡 OPEN FEATURE: New F-22 Model

Post by mikew »

Which F-22 model was that? If there's a link, it's well hidden. :)
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

https://mikejamesmedia.com/3d_catalog_info_raptor.html

It would be provided in Modo, which is okay, as HA offered me his import library for that format on Discord.
mikew
Data Genius

Post by mikew »

I think I remember this being discussed...

It's a wonderful looking model, but I see a couple of drawbacks:
Apart from it costing $500, the Licensing terms seem pretty restrictive although maybe that can negotiated.
The rest of the world and all the other planes will need to be brought up to the same standard.

I'm looking forward to seeing some epic screenshots though. :D
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

The licensing terms are mostly focused towards using the model in movies and commercials. That’s a bit different from most F-22 models you find online and it’s also the reason for the odd texturing. Without disclosing anything, the artist is always there to answer questions.

Aside from some free/cheap 3d models looking odd (some OTOH look great!), I really want higher fidelity and parametric surfaces. I’m not interested in an Ace-Combat-like level of detail because we have to plan several years ahead with the game.