Improvements to texture management

Eggheads talking about bytes and stuff.
Krishty
Site Admin

Improvements to texture management

Post by Krishty »

Going through old threads, I noticed that TFXplorer texture management has two shortcomings:
  • It does not differentiate between the TM and the SPR directory. This is appearently caused by a byte in the shape header being 31 instead of 21; I need to link the exact source.
  • It does not work with DKD’s updated island, where textures are read from the hardware.tm directory instead of TM. I need to work out how the engine finds that directory, because the redXXXX.ini files seem to have no reference to it.
  • It does not implement what DKD calls the Global Textures System.
Polakreturned
Legendary Modder

Re: Improvements to texture management

Post by Polakreturned »

Can you post more info about textures? Mainly I cannot find any "alive" place to download Mark Gonzales' TAW Texture Manager. After such a long break it is rather difficult to start.
Krishty
Site Admin

Re: Improvements to texture management

Post by Krishty »

Polakreturned wrote: 2022-Jan-11, 11:31Mainly I cannot find any "alive" place to download Mark Gonzales' TAW Texture Manager.
Here you go! viewtopic.php?p=22#p22

Regarding textures, DKD is the absolute authority. There’s different formats (palettized, true-color, different resolutions) which are tied to specific slots in the texture list. DKD can probably explain it all, but I see he’s been offline since June. I just sent him a PM over at CSim; I hope he’ll make it here …

The most basic information on textures can be found in the Wiki, but it’s missing the advanced texture formats DKD knows so well.