DID.DAT files and their contents

DID’s Air Dominance Fighter and Total Air War.
mikew
Data Genius

Re: DID.DAT files and their contents

Post by mikew »

There was one DID.DAT in a Spanish ADF installation that was new to us, although it doesn't contain anything radically different. The files with different content are exactly the same ones that cause the different sizes of the other 5 DID.DATs

Moving on to RSO and the patches, we have various combinations DirectX/Glide and languages. Luckily Menrva has done most of the work here and we have English, French, German, Spanish and Italian examples, although not quite every combination although I don't think that matters.
So, we have 3 different types of DID1ST.DAT.
1. For the 5.144 patch (7 examples)
2. RSO for the unpatched ADF (4 examples)
3. RSO for the patched ADF (4 examples)

So far, I've collected them together, extracted and decompressed them. While a detailed comparison of individual files still needs to be done, I can already say that like the main DID.DAT, these all contain the same number of files with the same names.
These are the folder and extensions used in each of the 3 types of DID1ST.DAT
fold_ext.PNG
fold_ext.PNG (83.32 KiB) Viewed 1583 times
Note the position of say, 'f22data\' is different in the folder list, so I need to be careful with the unknown files since a file with the same name would have different hashes.
mikew
Data Genius

Post by mikew »

Only had time to show that the 3 types of DID1ST.DAT are identical in the various language and DX/Glide installations.
I guess I need to show that the patch files are the same between the 'patch only' and 'RSO+Patch' DID1ST.DAT next.
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

mikew wrote: 2023-Apr-19, 08:48 I guess I need to show that the patch files are the same between the 'patch only' and 'RSO+Patch' DID1ST.DAT next.
Yes, that would be very useful!

FYI: I read all that, even though I don’t always answer!
mikew
Data Genius

Post by mikew »

I feel the need to post something now and again, if only as some encouragement to myself. :)

This is not a particularly enjoyable process, so only do bits now and then.
I kind of regret starting with ADF as that seems the least relevant, but maybe TAW and EF2000 will be worse.
mikew
Data Genius

Post by mikew »

I eventually got around to checking those 5.144 Patch files, and there are 207, of which we have the names of 206. These are identical across all the language installations with or without RSO.
That's good news...
mikew
Data Genius

Post by mikew »

This is turning into the world's longest forensic study, but I'll get there eventually.
So, to recap, all the ADF did.dat variants contain the same number of files, 12842.
From the latest list of file names (Thanks Menrva!) , we know the names of 12154 of them.
Of these, there is some difference in 96 of them that can cause the various did.dats to have different lengths.
86 of these 96 are in the patch, so will be overwritten.

This leaves these 10:
red1000\trg_14.tm
red1400\trg_14.tm
red2200\cam2_26.tm
red0200\scrf_spc.tm
red1400\scrf_spc.tm
lev\clds0600.4e2
cgdat\mp2iconz.lbm
red2200\scrf_spc.tm
hardware.tm\trg_2.tm
pcx\gamemap\plate.pcx

The 688 reamaining 'unknown' files are all identical across the various did.dats that I've looked at.
Krishty
Site Admin

Post by Krishty »

I removed the did.dat attachments from this thread so my backup doesn’t overflow 😉